Monday 19 October 2009

Nobel Peace Prize for President Obama - A Response

Someone very dear to me recently posted a blog on the recent award of Nobel Peace Prize to President Obama . I was invited to post my comments and what best to respond to a blog by publishing another one !!! So here I go.

I think the Nobel Committee have taken an unprecedented step here and have chosen to reward an 'intention' as opposed to an 'outcome' of the intention. Perhaps they have realised that in a complex, cynical, inward looking world, it's no longer possible to achieve peace as an outcome. It's like the race to quality - a race you keep running without ever reaching the finish line.

Does President Obama deserve the prize?
I think so - I think he has brought about a sense of sincerity and empathy to the role. He has shown the right intentions in reaching out to the those sections of the world populace who felt threatened by the previous US administrations.

Does that mean, he will be obliged to maintain 'peace'?
Not necessarily - I think maintaining peace is not the responsibility of one person alone. I think President Obama has the right and the moral obligation to uphold his countries interest and if that calls for an action that might not be in the spirit of the Nobel Peace Prize, then so be it. I would rather have an Indian or a British PM who is more concerned about the welfare of their people as opposed to someone who is constantly worrying what would it's impact be on his 'Nobel Peace Prize' image.

No comments: